Thursday, February 17, 2011

Project Food Budget - Week 6: How I Managed To Screw Up a Bread Recipe...or Did I?

Apparently I've never been good at following directions. Perhaps it's from not being a crowd-follower, my impatience or my Type-A personality. Maybe it's from too much daydreaming, coloring outside the lines, foggy thinking or as a friend of mine coined it, 'momnesia'. I think it may be from the latter. Even as a child, the teacher would give directions and somehow I would manage to screw up a simple command like writing your name at the top of the paper.
Sigh.
Anyhoo, from time to time, I tend to skip an ingredient or two when following a recipe. I tend to jump ahead to the end for some reason. I attempted to make a simple, no-knead bread recipe that was from the back of the flour bag. It didn't help that I totally skipped adding the nonfat dry milk (which cost me $8.99 a box at G.E. Market District...thankyouverymuch!) When I realized my mistake, I smashed it into the already-rising dough ball and hoped for the best.

Well, as it turned out, as ugly as it was, the bread turned out pretty darn good. It was tasty especially warm from the oven! Hubby and toddler liked it too! Score! I am planning on re-making it again--maybe today.....the right way and see which loaf tastes the best. This loaf was surprisingly moist, dense, somewhat easy to slice (the middle part)...good for sandwiches!

No-Knead 100% Whole Wheat Bread
Yields: One loaf; 16 servings
I calculated 3 Weight Watchers PointsPlus
per slice

1 cup (8 oz.) lukewarm water
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup melted butter or vegetable oil (I used butter)
3 T. molasses or maple syrup (I used blackstrap molasses)
2 tsp. instant yeast
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
3 cups King Arthur Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/4 tsp. salt (or sea salt)

Thoroughly grease an 8 1/2"x 4 1/2" pan. It's important to grease the pan well, as this bread tends to stick. I used Pam non-stick spray.

Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Beat the mixture vigorously for about 3 minutes; an electric mixer set on high speed works well here. Scoop the soft dough into the prepared pan.
Cover the pan with lightly greased plastic wrap, and let it rise for about 90 minutes; it'll become puffy.

Bake the bread in a preheated 350°F oven for about 30 to 35 minutes, tenting it with aluminum foil after 15 minutes. The bread is done when it's golden brown on top, and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 195°F. Remove it from the oven, and after 5 minutes turn it out onto a rack (or cutting board). Cool the bread completely before slicing (although I didn't....couldn't wait to try it! See, impatience!)

Getting back to the food budget, since I spend WAY too much last week, I have not gone to the store as of yet. I am hoping to hold off until next week and use up what we have. Also, we had some freebies thrown in there like a few dinners from the in-laws and my folks, restaurant gift cards (to celebrate Valentine's weekend).

Here is a list of other bloggers participating in the Project Food Budget Challenge:

5 comments:

Stephanie Brown said...

Looks like not going to the store is a trend this week that's working. :) I always thought I was a horrible cook because I have that same "problem" that you do with directions. For a long time I wouldn't even cook anything unless it was basically just boiling and stirring. Now I work so hard to maintain my focus and triple check the steps as I go along, otherwise everything coming out of my kitchen would be a disaster. It's getting easier with practice, for sure!

Emily said...

i have yet to make a "perfect" loaf of bread. and i started to use a bread machine.

i think it just takes practice and adjusting for the temperature/moisture in your house.

and really...as long as it tastes good, who cares!

Chantel said...

Enjoyed this thoroughly, love "ugly but tasty" stories! Oh, and you can make edible playdough with your leftover dry milk--perfect for toddlers! (peanut butter, honey & dry milk--mix till doughlike--yum)

Leah the Foodie said...

Thanks everyone for the comments!
I actually did break down and run to the store today....I'll blame the nice weather : )
Spent under my $75/week budget which is good, but still have another week or so of Feb. left.
@Chantel: thanks for the tip on edible playdough! My son would love that. Thanks!

Crafty P said...

Leah!!! Go to ALDI and buy your dry milk! goodness me. And then, make some of my best ever hot cocoa mix. ; )