Sunday, January 2, 2011

What I Want to Learn in 2011

It's a new year folks! I hope everyone had a safe and blessed Christmas and New Year. With a new year comes reflecting on the past one and contemplating the new one. I know people make resolutions (myself included) but a couple weeks into the new year, or even a couple hours can end in failure and resigning.

My blog is a perfect example of having good intentions and then going off the deep end over and over again. When I first began this blog it was my attempt to give up sugar for good, meaning um, FOREVER. Well, for those readers who have been faithfully reading from the beginning, you know how many times I fell off that wagon. Then I changed my blog description to something that suggested finding balance and moderation. I am still trying to find what that is exactly.

I read something yesterday that blew my mind. It was out of Beth Moore's Praying God's Word in the 'Overcoming Food-Related Strongholds' section: "A daily recommitment is not to ensure that we'll never fail, but to help us develop the mentality that every single day is a new day...victorious living is not an instant arrival. It is the pursuit of one victorious day at a time until the sun sets on enough to begin forming victorious habits."

That's good news folks! You don't have to throw in the towel if you screw up. Learning this means so much to me because I  struggle with an 'all or nothing' mentality.
So, to sum up, here is what I want to learn this year:
  1. It's about progress, not perfection.
  2. Focus on what's right about you instead of dwelling on what's wrong with you.
  3. Be kind to yourself; learn positive self-talk. (this is a big one for me...I beat myself up way too much).
  4. Stop comparing yourself to others. 
  5. Stop feeling guilty because you don't 'have it all together' (neither does the person next to you).
  6. Learning to eat food to live and not live to eat food!
I leave you with this scripture (one of my favorites): "May God Himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul, and body (emphasis mine) be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it."
1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 (NIV Bible)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the encouragement Leah! Love ya!

Crafty P said...

great encouragement! when we fall down we are certainly not failing, every day is a constant struggle to keep getting up and forging ahead! FORWARD!