Friday, January 7, 2011

Thai Chickpea Curry

I was inspired to make this after a recent visit to my friend Jenny's house for lunch after church. My friend is a wonderful cook--I would say the best that I know of (sorry Mom!)

She makes a fabulous Chickpea Curry using a pressure cooker. Since I don't have a pressure cooker, I thought I would try this on the stovetop.
She got the recipe from Lorna Sass and I modified it further.


 This was one the whole family enjoyed including my toddler!


Thai Chickpea Curry

2 - 15.5 oz. cans of Chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
1 - 13 oz. can of lite coconut milk (I had A Taste of Thai brand)
clove of garlic, minced
1 - 1 lb. can of sweet potatoes, cut up into 1" chunks
1 cup coarsely chopped canned (or fresh) whole plum tomatoes (I had a Trader Joe's brand on hand that had no salt added and included some basil in it)
1 T. mild curry powder (I used Sun Brand Madras Curry Powder)

Combine in large pot, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer at low heat for an hour (stir occasionally).
When finished, serve over Texmati (basmati) brown rice and top with fresh basil and cilantro.
This is a great hearty meal with tons of fiber. Serves about 6-8 (1 cup servings).

No comments: