Friday, January 21, 2011

Graham-Crusted Tilapia, Roasted Asparagus and Pineapple dessert















I found this recipe a few years ago in a Betty Crocker Diabetes Easy Family Meals magazine I got at the grocery store. They have a lot of balanced, healthy recipes for everyone, not just diabetics.

I am not a fan of fish or any seafood for that matter, but I am trying to like it. Being a carb addict, I really need to increase my protein and my omega-3's. I have found tilapia to be a very mild fish that I can tolerate.


This recipe uses graham cracker crumbs for the coating so you get a little sweet taste with your fish!

Graham-Crusted Tilapia
Serves 4

1 lb. tilapia, cod, haddock or other medium-firm fish fillets, about 3/4 inch thick
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 8 squares; I put them in a ziplock bag and took a rolling pin to it)
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup fat-free milk
2 T canola oil (I used olive oil)
2 T chopped toasted pecans (I did not toast, and I just used a mixed nut topping)

Move oven rack to position slightly above middle of oven. Heat oven to 500°F.
Cut fish fillets crosswise into 2-inch-wide pieces. In shallow dish, mix cracker crumbs, lemon peel, salt and pepper. Place milk in another shallow dish.

Dip fish into milk, then coat with cracker mixture. Place in ungreased 13x9-inch pan. Drizzle oil over fish; sprinkle with nuts.

Bake about 10 mins. or until fish flakes easily with fork.

While baking, you can throw some asparagus onto a cookie sheet, add a little olive oil and sea salt and roast in oven on lower rack for 15-20 mins. (turning over occasionally).

I also added to my dish fresh cherry tomatoes, some yellow bell pepper and seedless cucumbers with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

....And for dessert (really? dessert?)

Strawberry-flavored Pineapple (I'm not sure what to call it)

1 fresh pineapple
1 box of sugar-free gelatin (whatever flavor; I chose strawberry)

Quarter the pineapple lengthwise, cut slices like an accordion, and sprinkle powdered gelatin over pineapple pieces - as little or as much as you want!

Thank you to my good friend Jess for that one!!

1 comment:

Yum Yum said...

I'm not big on fish, either, but it is edible if it's coated in something like bread crumbs. Lots of bread crumbs. Never thought to try graham crackers... hmm...