Friday, December 3, 2010

Post-Thanksgiving Illnesses and Carby Times

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday probably because it revolves around food and being grateful for everything I have been blessed with. This post comes a little late as I'm sure most of you are focusing full-steam ahead to Christmas. We have been a bunch of sickies over here. I was the first (and by far the worst) to come down with a stomach flu bug late Thanksgiving night/early Black Friday morning.
Luckily, we were staying at my parents, so I had plenty of people looking after my little guy as I quarantined myself to my parent's room (they were super sweet to give us their room and take my old room next to where James was sleeping.)

Being a foodie, during that 12-24 hours I never wanted to see, smell, taste or deal with food ever again. It was horrible. I prayed to the Lord Jesus and the porcelain god that I would never ever eat again. As I laid my sweaty head on the old mauve carpet of the powder room, I kept thinking back on all the overeating and bad eating I had done leading up to that moment and wondered if I somehow brought this on myself. I didn't of course; I had a fever, body aches, the whole flu thing. Unfortunately it spread like wildfire as hubby and my parents came down with it 48 hours after me. Luckily, the toddler has escaped it as of late, except for the fever part.

With all this said, we've been trying to recover. There hasn't been any exciting food adventures as you can imagine, but I managed to break out an old recipe I've had over the years and it just seemed like a yummy choice this week. (I know, I promised I would never eat again, haha. Fooled you!)

Unfortunately, at this time of year I want to build a cocoon out of carbohydrates.

Chicken Roll-Ups
Chicken Roll-Ups

Leftover cooked chicken de-boned (or turkey), about a pound
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 T. butter, melted
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
4 T milk
2 - 8 oz. tubes of crescent rolls
Handful of bread crumbs

Heat oven to 350° F. In bowl, mix cream cheese and melted butter. Mix in all other ingredients. Take rolls and roll out to make 8 rectangles. Spoon chicken mixture into center. Bring edges of rolls to center to overlap. Melt another 1 t. butter and brush over rolls (I just used spray butter, or better yet, try spritzing with some olive oil!)
Sprinkle bread crumbs overtop all the roll-ups. Bake for 20-25 mins. or until golden brown. (Check at 18 mins. so bottom doesn't burn.)

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Oh yum. I think just about anything can be wrapped up in a crescent roll for a delicious treat. This looks amazing.