Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Peppermint Oreo Gobs

Okay, I know I sounded somber in my last post but I have perked up since then. It is now a few days before Christmas and I am finally feeling more Christmasy! With all this said, I decided to do some baking this year. I used to enjoy baking as a teenager and when I was home on break during college. I got away from it over the last decade and as much as I have complained about my sugar addiction and eating habits I have been in a baking mood. I know, I know I must sound like a hypocrite, but in less than 2 weeks it will be a new year and I am determined to make some changes in the upcoming year.

A friend of mine had a cookie exchange party over the weekend and I made something that I never made before and luckily, it was a success! I actually found it at the blog The Girl Who Ate Everything (such a clever blog title, why didn't I think of that one?). Give her blog a look-see. She has AMAZING recipes not to mention drop-dead desserts (and she is super-model gorgeous which makes me want to punch her in the face for not weighing 500 tons). Just kidding!

I modified hers a bit. I thought the cookie was more gob-like than oreo-like. Either way, these are awesome! Buon Natale everyone!!




Peppermint Oreo Gobs

2 boxes Devil's food cake mix
4 eggs
2/3 cup vegetable oil

Frosting:
1 (8ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
sprinkles or crushed candy cane for decorating (I used sprinkles)
green or red food coloring (I did not use this)

Preheat oven to 350° F.
In a large bowl combine the cake mix, eggs, and oil with a mixer. The batter will be very stiff. Use a cookie scooper or roll pieces of batter into 1 inch balls. Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheets (I lined mine with wax paper). Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove immediately from the cookie sheets with a spatula and cool on a wire rack.
In a small glass bowl, combine the cream cheese and butter until completely blended. Gradually add in the powdered sugar and peppermint extract and mix until the icing is smooth. Color frosting green or red if desired. Spread half of the cookies with icing and top with remaining cookies.
Roll in sprinkles, crushed candy canes, or just leave them plain. 
Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container or resealable plastic bags. Makes 2 dozen cookies. 





No comments: