Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Steeler Sunday, The Dor-Stop and Beano's Condiments

This past weekend was a busy one. I had the privilege of getting a sneak peek at the brand new 77Kids store at Ross Park Mall on Saturday morning. More on that in my next post and a chance to win a $50 gift card!

I also was lucky enough to win Steeler tickets through a contest with Beano's Condiments! I never win ANYTHING so this was super sweet. I have never been to a Steeler's game before in my life.

Being born and bred in Western Pennsylvania, I grew up with the Steelers. I have memories of Thanksgiving when my Dad and my uncles would scream at the TV during the late 70's-early 80's big rivalry between the Dallas Cowboys, or as my Dad called them, the 'Cryboys' and the Steelers. I will shamefully admit that I am not a big football fan nor have I ever understood the game. I am probably the only woman from the 'Burgh that does not follow the game even though it has been explained to me hundreds of times! Nonetheless, I have always rooted for the Steelers even if I had no idea what the score was or what was going on.

Hubby, on the other hand, loves football enough for the both of us! He was ecstatic when he found out that I won two tickets to Sunday's game against the Oakland Raiders! We bundled up Sunday morning and headed out to the Dor Stop Restaurant in the heart of Dormont. We LOVE the Dor Stop! They are a small, family-owned diner that serves up the best breakfast in the area. The prices are great too! We were pleasantly surprised to get seated quickly as this place is constantly hopping, especially Sunday mornings. We don't get to go there too often as we are normally driving by on our way to church. They are only open until about 2 or 3 p.m.

The service was wonderful, friendly and we received constant refills with the free-flowing coffee. The place was packed wall to wall in a sea of black and gold as our fellow fans had the same idea we had to grab a big breakfast before the game.

My husband had his usual--the Meat Lovers Omelette and I had my usual--Banana-Oatmeal Pancakes with a side of ham. It was deeeeelish. Somehow I managed to walk a straight line afterwards without a food coma. It was a miracle.


They got us in, out and on our way! (Not to be confused with Enterprise!)


We headed up to the T station and rode the train down to Station Square where we took the gateway clipper over to the stadium. Steeler Day is certainly a culture in and of itself and we had a wonderful time at the game.

It was a really good game too...I actually was able to follow...somewhat.

The best part is the fans. Steeler fans are by far the most loyal and most colorful characters. Some tend to get a little rowdy as we found out by some of the people we were sitting by. There were two girls sitting beside me that became drunk and kept smacking me and others with their terrible towel!
I didn't mind. I felt like a true Steeler fan. However the family of four sitting in front of us got rather annoyed (she smacked them too) and they got up and left during the 3rd quarter! I honestly didn't blame them.

We had a great day and are looking forward to using all our new Beano's sauces! New recipes to come folks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like their submarine sandwich dressing. I too am a football outsider, but would like to experience a game for myself! kait

Yum Yum said...

We love the DorStop! Yummy sausage & breakfast sandwiches.

Rebecca said...

The Dor-Stop defines our summertime hangout sessions! LOVE IT!