Friday, November 19, 2010

Low GI Mexican Lasagna

I have had this recipe tucked away in my recipe drawer for years and did not attempt to make it until just recently. I LOVE Mexican food. I don't think I ever get tired of it. I also have an insane love relationship with cilantro, avocados and limes. I went a little nuts as you can see in the photo. No normal human being probably consumes that much cilantro, well, except yours truly.

I got this recipe from an old 2001 Prevention magazine. The recipe was reprinted from The Good Carb Cookbook: Secrets of Eating Low on the Glycemic Index by Sandra Woodruff, MS, RD.
I used to rip out recipes that looked delicious but I never got around to making any of them until the last few years when I really started to enjoy cooking.

Mexican Lasagna

1 cup fat-free or reduced-fat ricotta cheese
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp liquid egg substitute
1 lb 95% lean ground beef
1 14-oz can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, crushed and undrained
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 15-oz can black (or pinto beans), drained
1 4-oz can chopped green chiles, drained
1 Tbsp chili powder
10 corn tortillas (6" rounds)
2 1/2 cups shredded fat-free or reduced-fat Monterey Jack or Cheddar Cheese

Combine the ricotta and egg substitute in a bowl and stir to mix well. Set aside.

Brown the ground beef in a large nonstick skillet until no longer pink. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, chiles, chili powder and mix well.

Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes or until mixture is thick. Remove skillet from heat.

Coat a 13" x 9" pan with cooking spray and line bottom of pan with 5 tortillas, slightly overlapping. (You will need to cut one of them in half in order for them to fit in pan). Spread half of the meat mixture over the tortillas, dot with half of the ricotta-egg mixture and top with half the cheese. Repeat the layers using the remaining ingredients.

Cover pan with foil and bake at 350°F for 25 minutes. Remove the foil, and bake for 5 minutes longer, or until the tortillas are heated through and the cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes.

Makes 8 servings.
Per Serving: 275 cal, 29 g pro, 32 g carb, 3 g fat, 0 g sat. fat, 34 mg chol, 5 g fiber, 660 mg sodium

4 comments:

Cara said...

This sounds AWESOME! and WAY TO GO WITH THE PHOTO!!!!! Lookin' good!

Leah the Foodie said...

Thanks Cara!

Rebecca said...

This recipe looks amazing. While I don't know anyone who likes guac and lime quite as much as you, I might come in a distant second! :)

Alisa said...

I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this Mexican Lasagna widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about mexican lasagna,Thanks!