Friday, October 1, 2010

Cheesy Eggy Eggplant Spread on Corn Tortillas

I made this for breakfast one morning and I loved it!
The eggplant spread is what makes it so special.
I heart eggplant. Big time. Ask anyone who knows me or has gone out to a restaurant with me and I usually order something eggplanty or guacamole. Either way they are my favorites.
I made the eggplant spread the night before. I got it from a Weight Watchers recipe and I altered it a bit.

Actually, it was called Mediterranean Eggplant Salad, but I omitted a few ingredients and used it as a spread on my corn tortillas. Anyhoo.

Eggplant Spread

1/2 bulb of garlic (or 3 cloves)
1 medium eggplant
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/8 tsp. paprika

Preheat oven to 400° F. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil. Pierce eggplant a couple times with knife and roast whole until eggplant is tender (and a fork pierces easily into it) about 45-50 minutes. Also wrap whole garlic in a piece of foil and roast in oven alongside eggplant. Now he has a friend. Coolness.

Take out when done and let cool until it can be handled. Cut eggplant and scrape pulp into a food processor. Squeeze roasted garlic gloves into food processor (softened cloves should slide right out). Add other ingredients and pulse to your liking.

Serve at room temperature or I nuked mine for about a minute and then spread it over two corn tortillas and topped it with some scrambled eggs and just melted pepper jack cheese. Awesome.

No comments: