Friday, October 29, 2010

Amish Turnips

We've been receiving turnips in our CSA box from Isidore Foods recently. I have never eaten a turnip in my life. It's not something I have ever purchased at the grocery store. The fun challenge with receiving a variety of vegetables each week is discovering new recipes and new tastes.


I found this recipe on Cooks.com and modified it slightly to be roughly three Weight Watchers points (according to my calculations).

It was sooo delicious!! I felt like I was eating dessert (which makes me ecstatic) even though it was made up of a root vegetable.


Amish Turnips

2 cups cooked turnips
2/3 cups dried bread crumbs
1 Tbsp stick margarine (such as Blue Bonnet)
2 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
1 cup fat-free milk
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste (about 1 tsp each)

Cook turnips until tender. Drain, mash and then add 1/2 cup bread crumbs, saving the rest for topping.
Add egg, sugar, milk, salt & pepper to taste. Mix together; pour into greased (non-stick spray) baking dish. Dot with butter and rest of bread crumbs. Bake for 45 minutes at 375° F. Serves four.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

This looks yummy!

Leah the Foodie said...

It is! It kinda looks like cornbread and the bread crumbs make for a toasty topping. Yum!