Friday, September 17, 2010

Recipe of the Week...Zucchini Squares!

Okay, so I am proclaiming every Friday as my Recipe Day of the Week since I owe you folks some recipes from over the summer (is it the end already???? sniff, sniff...tear).

Today's recipe is an old family favorite with some minor tweaks to make it a little healthier.

Leah's Zucchini Squares

4 cups zucchini, shredded or grated
2 eggs, beaten
2 egg whites, beaten
1 cup of baking mix like Bisquick
(I used Ginger Evans biscuit and baking mix--a Save-a-lot brand that I had on hand.)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup Sargento reduced fat mild cheddar cheese
2 slices American cheese, torn up in small chunks

Mix all together and season to taste: onion powder, garlic or garlic scapes, salt, a pinch of pepper, parsley and a pinch of oregano. I think I used a tsp. of the spices mentioned. Mix together and pour in a non-stick sprayed baking dish. Bake at 350°F uncovered for 45 minutes or so. It will set after awhile out of the oven. Cut into 9 squares. One square per serving, 4 WW points (according to my calculations).

4 comments:

Jenna said...

Leah, your food photography is gorgeous. It makes me hungry.

Leah the Foodie said...

Thanks jenna! That's what I'm going for!!

Anonymous said...

looks yummy!when can we sample this delicious dish? -Kait

Leah the Foodie said...

Kait: maybe I'll make it the next time we do a girls' foodie night!