Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Podcamp Pittsburgh, Social Media and the Goodie Truck

A beautiful walk across the Smithfield St. Bridge
I had the pleasure of attending a free conference over the weekend called Podcamp Pittsburgh. It was basically for anyone and everyone that wanted to learn more about new media, blogging, social media and the like. I really enjoyed this event, met some great people and learned a bunch!

When it comes to social media, I am a newbie. Apparently I've chosen to live in a cave over the last decade and I feared social media like the plague. This conference (or as they like to describe it, 'UNconference' - an unorganized conference) taught me that social media is nothing to fear and how to use it correctly and effectively. It taught me to be bold, jump in with both feet and get my message out there. I guess that's why I started this blog. I still feel sheepish and narcissistic at times, because really, who cares what I have to say? I guess I do it to entertain myself and to record my thoughts. If my train wreck eating habits entertain, teach, encourage or help someone out there then yay!

I used to think that social media was about a bunch of self-absorbed teenagers taking naked pictures of themselves. As this may be true, there are more normal folks out there and companies that are embracing this form of new media. It isn't a fad as I once thought and it isn't going away anytime soon.

So I've decided if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

I plan to have a facebook fan page soon (I realize that I am probably the last person on the planet that is not on facebook). I always thought it was a huge time suck, but I am starting to come around. I do think it is important to manage your time online because frankly, we are all busy and there's a lot of life to be lived out there!

Baked goods on wheels.
Now on to the Goodie Truck! Ahh, the Goodie Truck. Baked goods on wheels. This was a wonderful discovery during the conference. I was sitting at lunch with my friend Cara, when suddenly I heard the 50's classic "Lollipop." I turned around to see a glorious fire engine red ice cream truck-type with 50's typography all over it blasting songs from yesteryear...about sweets.
I squirmed in my seat like a 5-year-old.

A bunch of 20 or 30-somethings ran with lightning speed to the goodie truck like kids chasing after the neighborhood ice cream truck. But I refrained. I was really trying to eat well that day but I ended up just obsessing about it for the rest of the night and the next day during our lunch break, the Goodie Truck appeared again and I did rush to it like grease lightning and gobbled down a homemade ice cream sandwich. It was heaven!

So I will leave you with this quote from girlhack at her Podcamp session, "be passionate about what you're doing"

Now go live life! (and then tweet, fb, blog about it later....heehee).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's all in the approach to the blog. I've often felt why the heck am I doing this-this is stupid. But as a creative person, it's a great outlet, even if no one else reads it. I feel better after getting it out there. -kait