Thursday, September 16, 2010

One Touch Times

I felt like I was grasping for straws the other day when I went to a couple doctor appointments and asked candidly about diets. I had two different opinions--the one said stay away from sweets forever and you'll never miss them (yeeahhh, been there and tried that! FAILED). The other, said that depriving yourself indefinitely will create a 'forbidden' in my mind and set me up to go a-binge-ing (I'd rather go a-courtin'). The latter opinion was actually my endocrinologist. Surprising, isn't it?

 Looks like I will be prickin' the ol' finger again soon, though. My endo wants me to monitor my blood glucose when I'm having my hypoglycemia symptoms (I did this a few years ago with a former endocrinologist who apparently got her medical degree from a cracker jack box, which resulted in no help whatsoever).

Oh yeah, I've been reading and following the Low GI Diet since getting back from vacation. It seems like a good food plan, with plenty of scientific evidence, but sadly I experienced a blood sugar crash after having a very balanced hearty lunch 4 hours beforehand. It happened while I was browsing through my local Whole Foods (more like Whole Paycheck). I suddenly got shaky, sweaty, weak and slightly disoriented. I felt panicky and desperate for something to shove into the piehole.

So what did I do?

Like an idiot I grabbed a couple baked goods from the luscious bakery section of the store and grabbed a Horizon chocolate milk and made my way to the checkout. I felt like I was in a stupor when the cashier asked a question and my reply was "I NEED a fork." He laughed and said "I asked if you were eating here." (because I had food from the hot bar for Brian and I for dinner). I think I apologized and felt embarrassed. Then I sat in my car and consumed the luscious baked goods and organic chocolate milk like a fly-covered kid in a 3rd world country. 
Note to self: I think I will create a Wall of Shame page in this blog--in the near future.

So I guess some of you are wondering, why didn't you eat a snack bar beforehand? Well duh...
I wasn't feeling hungry during those four hours and sometimes I ignore it or hold off as long as I can. The sad thing was that I HAD a granola bar in my purse.
But really, FOUR hours? I can see if it was more than 6 or 8 hours, but almost four? It is so ridiculous.
Sometimes I can feel hungry after an hour of eating! I hate this!!!!

Funny enough, I had no hypoglycemia crashes during vacation when I was eating bad or eating inconsistently. Groan....

So friends, I'm still trying to fight the good fight and do my best. That's all we can do!
Does anyone else struggle with this?

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh my yes! Just this evening I found myself "needing" a snack about 15 minutes after dinner. No joke.

Leah the Foodie said...

I know. That's been happening to me a lot lately. My Mom used to have that happen to her in her 30's. I wonder what's up with 'at!?