Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Good Breakfast

One of the many things I love about summer is the awesome produce that is abundant everywhere you look. Plump, juicy tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, peppers, cucumbers, corn on the cob, green beans and the list goes on. Food-wise (and otherwise) it is the most wonderful time of the year (not to be confused with Christmas)! We receive a CSA box weekly through a program we signed up for with Isidore Foods, which I will brag about in a future post.

I love simple sandwiches in the summer that usually involve tomatoes, mayo and some fresh bread. I've been on a sandwich kick this week and frankly, they were so beautiful I took pictures of them and then wept. Just kidding! Or am I?


I managed to make a simple breakfast for myself this morning once the little guy went back down for a nap and I polished off my 18th cup of coffee. This breakfast involved a small slice of Pepperidge Farm whole wheat toast, egg beaters, cheese, green heirloom tomato slices and bacon...yes, glorious bacon (hey, two slices are only 2 points!)

I also had some fun with some other sandwiches this week. One day I ran out of lettuce, so I made my very own BBT - Bacon, Basil and Tomato sandwich. It was dee-lish.

I also made another variation but used more tomato, more mayo and added swiss chard...the rich, well-to-do step-uncle of lettuce. Basil was out to lunch that day. Oh well.

I will be doing a little series on a couple other recipes I made this week from my summer produce. It was so good it almost makes me not miss sweets...
well, almost.


Tomato, mayo, swiss chard,
scrambled egg beaters with cheese

No comments: