Monday, August 9, 2010

First Forbush Frozen Custard

We visited my parents over the weekend, along with my brother. We decided to take a trip down memory lane (and down the road) to Forbush Drive In, to give James his first ice cream cone. This place has the BEST hand-scooped frozen custard you will find EVER ( yes, I know I am being partial). It's one of those beloved places that everyone knows about and has been a fixture in the community since 1949. My Dad even remembers going there as a kid with his grandparents. He said there was nothing on that road but farm land, darkness and the lights of New Castle in the distance. No plazas, no high school, etc.

Anyhoo, my brother and I were delighted to see they had cookie dough and brownie dough on the menu at the same time. That rarely has happened in our lifetime. Kinda like a total solar eclipse. The best thing about this particular kind of cookie dough and brownie dough is that it is made in the chocolate soft-serve custard. Yum. No vanilla with minuscule flecks of tiny chocolate chips. No, this stuff has real chunks of cookie dough in chocolate custard. Awesome.

As you can guess from my verbal drooling I did partake. I had contemplated trying the one sugar-free flavor they had on the menu but my brother was like, "Are you CRAZY!? Do you remember how freaky that stuff looked? It was like play dough!"

So I happily got a waffle cone with a scoop of peanut butter and a scoop of the chocolate cookie dough, because frankly, if you're going to do it, you need to do it right. Anyway, I enjoyed it without ill effects later and went home happy.

You see, we both worked there during the summers through high school. That's why we had such a strong connection to this place. We sat in the car with our custard and reminisced about working there, how things have changed now and laughed about the shenanigans that come with your first high school job. I'm thankful I don't work there now because I would be in serious trouble (and they would find me locked in the cooler surrounded by empty pre-packed custard quart containers...)

We brought James' vanilla custard home to avoid the mess in my car and also so we could document it with Nana and Pappy watching. It was a funny site to say the least. Check out the video!


Baby's First Cone from Leah Nolen on Vimeo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohm nom nom, he was chowing that cone down! Kait

Cara said...

totally adorable! and yes it worked.... sorry it took me a few days to get back to you :(

Jenna said...

Awww.....baby's First Forbush.