Tuesday, August 31, 2010

80's Hot Pink Beet Spread

I have never been a fan of beets. We receive them a lot in our CSA produce boxes from Isidore Foods. I always felt bad because they would sit in the vegetable crisper in the fridge for so long I'd eventually throw them out (and you know how I HATE to waste anything!)

I discovered a recipe from Taste of Home for beet spread and it was awesome! I put it on everything--burgers, salad, burritos and also used it as a dip. Don't let the bright pink color scare you--just use it to harness your 80's sassy side, like I do...

Leah's 80's Hot Pink Beet Spread

8 oz. fat-free cream cheese, softened
3-4 whole fresh beets, roasted* (or cooked), peeled and mashed (about 1/2 cup)
*(I roast in the oven at 400 degrees for an hour or two; until they are soft and the skins break).
1/4 cup prepared horseradish sauce
2 T. lemon juice
1 T. white vinegar
1-1/2 t. sugar (I used a packet of SweetLeaf (Stevia) sweetener)

In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and beets until blended. I used a potato masher to mash the cooked beets ahead of time. Beat in the horseradish, lemon juice, vinegar, and sugar. Makes about 16 servings (I think...) Perhaps 1-2 Tablespoons per serving (once again, not sure).
Now you are ready to rock out!

No comments: