Monday, July 12, 2010

The Trouble with Leftovers

Ah leftovers! I love leftovers. I purposely cook more just so we can have leftovers the next day for lunch and dinner (and also so I can skip cooking the next night). This isn't so much a problem in my home as it is when we go to a restaurant where I will not have access to a fridge immediately afterward. I will scarf down the entire meal knowing that I will not be able to take it home and somehow I have always had trouble throwing away food. I just hate to see a good meal go to waste especially one that I paid for!

This was the case the other night when Brian and I went out for his birthday to Joe's Crab Shack. Not being a seafood lover, I ordered the pan-fried panko cheesy chicken which was to die for. Literally. I know it wasn't the best choice on the menu but I was feeling deprived from my sugar withdrawal and felt that I needed to get through the unpleasant experience of being across from the crab-leg-cracking of my mate.

Needless to say, I was probably full halfway through my dish, but because it was so delicious continued on to save my chicken friend from the rejection that awaited...the trash. In situations like this, I would happily stop halfway through the meal and ask for a takeout container, but since we were going to the movies, I was afraid of leaving it in the trunk especially in humid, smoldering July.

I'm known for being a scrap-nazi by friends and family. I'm like an old lady stuffing my purse with the leftover roll no one else wants or condiments. I once almost stabbed a waiter in the hand because he thought I was done with my meal....or for that matter tried to take away the bread basket, salad dressing, etc!! I have also always been psycho about depositing my own leftovers in the takeout container. One place insisted that they do it for me and they came back and I swear I was missing some of my food...

No comments: