Thursday, July 8, 2010

I am a Sugar Addict!


My name is Leah and I am a sugar addict. More accurately, I love sweets...particularly chocolate cake, brownies, cookies, ice cream, etc. Yes, I am a dessert whore! I have had this horrible sweet tooth since I can remember. It never was a problem growing up, but now being in my mid-30's, my thyroid and metabolism are waving bye-bye and the scale continues to creep up. More importantly, it has continued to be an obsession. I walk by a cookie table at a wedding like an alcoholic walks past a bar. I can't just have 1 or 2 desserts. I can eat the entire table! I am tired of being the butt of every joke and I guess it doesn't help that I encourage it. Most people don't realize how I struggle. By looking at me, you may say:
"she looks fine, what's her problem?"

It is a battle within. The eating in secret. The guilt and shame. The constant exercise regimen to outsmart the intake of sweets. No one knows the damage it is doing internally. In 2006, I was diagnosed with insulin resistance, a precursor to Diabetes and also an underactive thyroid. Since then, I have tried many diets and I have continued to binge on the sweets.

Which brings me to present day...I am attempting to give up sugar for good. I am doing it for my health and well-being. I'm tired of this thing dominating me.I have been following Weight Watchers since January and it has been a positive experience for me. So far, it's been the most reasonable diet plan I've found. I also listened to a self-hypnosis relaxation CD called Relax Aweigh. It is actually a program my Mom followed for years and was the best-kept secret in Eastern Ohio/Western PA!!

The CD basically gives you 'suggestions' to help make healthy food choices and give up junk food. It strengthens will power and self control. I have done this in the past, and I was successful for a period of time, but fell off the wagon. So now I am dusting myself off again and beginning this journey anew. Today starts a new day! My hope is that this blog can encourage others who struggle with sugar/food addiction. You are not alone!

2 comments:

Cara said...

Welcome to the blogosphere Leah the Foodie! I think this is a WONDERFUL blog topic and I think you'll find a lot of pleasure out of keeping your thoughts and ideas here! Can't wait to read more!!!

Leah the Foodie said...

Thanks Cara! I still have a lot of tweaking and a lot of questions for ya!
I enjoyed your Toddler Camping post!